Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Sharing:: 5 Blogging Tips

I'm no pro. And unless you're Heather Armstrong, you're not a pro either. But since I began blogging over three years ago, and since I (occasionally) get asked for tips on blogging, I am happy to share. But folks - remember, I'm not swallowing swords, I'm not Charlie Teo operating on brains, I'm not dancing on a stage. I'm blogging. And it's not rocket science.

So here are my 5 tips to help your blog along:

1. Make your blog a reflection of you. Put your blinkers on baby, and don't try to be something you're not. And don't get blind-sided by what anyone else is doing. This is your space. It's not the Olympics.

2. Visit. Pay your neighbours a visit, and share a cup of sugar with them. Share the love. Water their bloggy garden. Get on Twitter. Talk. Connect with other people. Don't get obsessed with your blog. Spread the seeds. Watch 'em grow. If you visit other people's bloggy gardens, they might pop over and visit yours.

3. Don't make it your whole life. Big mistake. If you become fixated on watching those numbers, those visitors or those comments, you're going to be mighty disappointed. While blogging takes work, it shouldn't become your whole life. Because if it does, you're not going to have anything to blog about. But learn how to edit. Heavily.

4. Don't think you're going to give up your day job. Life must go on, and unless you're a ridiculously talented, uber blogger and you strike it lucky, then you're probably going to make about $11 and a few washing powder samples in the first two years. If that's your aim. But don't make it your aim. I blog because I love writing. Because I love connecting. Because I love sharing. Blogging has helped me make some remarkable friends. And I get to write about things I love. Because I am my own editor. But you've got more chance making a bombfunk by winning Tatts Lotto. Blogging is for certs, not about making mula.

5. Give credit where credit is due. If you see something on someone's blog - and you want to blog about it. Blog about it. But give credit. It's not cool ripping copy, ideas or concepts from someone else. Tap your own ideas and shout out when you've been inspired by someone else.

And just remember my mantra: I'm not an expert. I'm not an expert. I'm not an expert.

No comments:

Post a Comment