Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Perfect Myth

The other day I inadvertently interrupted one of my colleagues speaking with some other work friends. Later, for some reason or another I asked what they had been chatting about. 

"Your perfect family."

I cringed. And I'm sure my brow furrowed. And then I cacked myself.

"My family perfect?" And then I laughed hard again thinking about how imperfect my life is. 

The perfect family? Don't think so. Far from it.


I quickly popped that bubble - because I am not one for perpetuating myths. I am not perfect. My family is not perfect. Life is not perfect.  I quickly jumped to my family's defence and went to town mythbusting.


I rattled off a whole bunch of reasons why our family is not perfect:
- we argue
- our house is a mess
- sometimes we can't pay our bills on time
- we don't really know what we're doing - we just fumble along
- we sometimes struggle to make decisions - big decisions
- I want to move out of Sydney, Matt wants to stay in Sydney
- my kids faces are covered in chocolate
- I struggle juggling family life with work life
- and sometimes we eat crumpets with butter and honey for lunch

There's so much more that makes us imperfect, and delightfully so, but I won't bore you.

But I did keep confirming to her that our family was not perfect, and that there isn't such a thing as a perfect family. With four individuals, there's bound to be conflict, tension, tears, and mess. Everyone has their challenges.


I could go on. And on. And on. But I won't bore you on the reasons why our little family is imperfect. And we're perfectly happy being imperfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment